The AARP, formerly known as the American Association of Retired Persons, has nearly 40 million members across the United States. Being retired is not a prerequisite to joining, though all members must be 50 years of age or older. One of the organization’s main causes is ensuring a high quality of life for elderly Americans, including the provision of insurance.
The AARP does not offer auto insurance itself. Instead, it has teamed up with a trusted insurance agency, The Hartford, to offer special policies and pricing options to AARP members. This joint insurance program has been offered for nearly 35 years with a lot of success.
To qualify, you must be at least 50 years of age and a registered member of the AARP. Associate members and spouses are not eligible. An online driver safety course must also be successfully completed before a policy can be purchased.
What Is Offered with the AARP Auto Insurance Program?
According to numerous AARP auto insurance reviews, there are quite a few features offered when you purchase an AARP auto insurance plan from The Hartford. They include:
- Lifetime Renewability. Once you purchase your initial policy, coverage can be renewed for the rest of your life as long as you are still able to drive, have a good record, and have paid your premiums.
- 12-Month Rate Protection. New policyholders can expect their premiums to stay the same throughout the first year that they are insured. This is a departure from other plans that typically preserve a premium rate for six months at a time.
- Recover Care. Policyholders that sustain injuries in an accident are covered in the event that they cannot perform essential services in their homes throughout recovery. For example, if an accident has reduced mobility, you are provided coverage for house maintenance, snow removal, or food preparation, among others. This feature even covers taxi costs or delivery fees, so you can continue to take care of yourself and your family.
- New Car Replacement. Cars that are totally written off within the first 15 months of ownership, or within the first 15,000 miles, are replaced with a new car of the same make and model, without any deductions for depreciation.
- Lifetime Car Repair. Agents work with policyholders to help them find a repair service that they can trust, removing some of the stress that follows being involved in a collision. If you decide to use one of the pre-approved shops, the company guarantees the work for as long as you own your vehicle.
- 24/7 Hotline. Collisions happen at all hours of the day. Being able to access a claims hotline that can respond immediately can remove a lot of stress from the situation. Messages left on this hotline are returned as soon as possible, regardless of the time of day.
There are a few other features that AARP members can benefit from. One of them is the Advantage Plus program, which gives you a wide range of benefits including accident forgiveness, legal representation should you be at fault for an accident, and extended medical coverage if any injuries are sustained.
According to AARP auto insurance reviews, insurance policies offered by the AARP through The Hartford are typically very well liked by their clients. In particular, immediate access to a live representative in the event that a claim needs to be filed is often one of the biggest perks named by AARP members. Accident forgiveness and roadside protection are also features that customers love.
Customers also find purchasing policies to be quite easy. When you call or connect online, you can receive your quote in eight minutes or less. Drivers who agree with the estimate can proceed and get fully insured quite quickly. Being able to bundle insurance plans, such as your auto and home insurance, can offer added convenience and extra savings too.
The claims process is quite simple. Claimants can file online or by phone quite easily at all hours of the day. Messages left on the 24/7 claims hotline are returned immediately, no matter when the message is left.
There are also AARP auto insurance reviews that state claims are investigated quickly, with a compassionate and skilled representative assigned to each and every case. In many instances, agents are able to walk clients through the claims process with ease, making it stress-free.
As one of the largest organizations representing individuals over the age of 50, you can expect the AARP to remain stable. Membership is at an all-time high, with many executives even being involved in government roles.
Partnering with The Hartford can only add to the stability of this particular insurance policy. The Hartford has been operating for over 200 years, making it one of the oldest insurance providers in the country.
Value for Price
While these policies are not available at rock bottom prices, they do provide you with a lot of value for your money. Clients can choose from flexible and customizable program options to find insurance solutions that work for their needs.
More than that, there are also additional savings available for reliable drivers, those with added safety features in their vehicles, and those who sign up for things like online billing and e-payments.
Who Is this Best for?
This particular insurance program is only available for AARP members, which means that you must be 50 or older. It has been designed to suit the needs of that particular demographic, with features and options like in-home recovery assistance and live agent support.
What to Look Out for?
Insurance law varies from one state to the next. As a result, the AARP auto insurance program from The Hartford is not available in all states. In some cases, policies and features offered may not be the same in all states for the same reason. Ideally, you should reach out to them by phone to speak with an agent and find out more about availability.
Some policyholders have also complained about the online driver safety course, which must be approved by the AARP and with results submitted directly to them. Contacting an agent by phone can help resolve any issues with finding the right type of course. In limited circumstances, agents may help some clients find alternate ways to take the course.
For AARP members with good driving records, the insurance program from The Hartford is an excellent choice. These policies give you good value for the cost and come with features that are perfectly suited to your needs and lifestyle.